Look what we are finding!
11/11/15 10/9/15 9/26/15 9/04/15 8/09/15 07/29/15 07/29/15 07/26/15 7/15/15
Click on the Picture to read about it
See Our Previous Banner Finds
Don't forget to check out our main page at http://www.mwas.org

Author Topic: Morgan (long)  (Read 2894 times)

sovuser

Morgan (long)
« on: February 16, 2009, 08:59:44 PM »
Hello All, Hope everyone had a great weekend  :)  Thought I would show you my best find and the story behind it. I haven't been metal detecting very long; I started last Feb. about this same time. I had no clue what I was doing(lol) (still learning) I hunted almost every day and every place I could think of, then I discovered some internet forums and realized this is a big hobby(again had no clue) Learned theres more in the ground besides clad coins :) Started to find older wheat's and my first silver (a 1913 barber dime) Man was I hooked. I bought a better detector and started doing more research on older sites, then life hit me with a ton of bricks.I was diagnosed with colon cancer;well I fell into some bad depression ,stopped MDing,fishing all the things that I enjoyed.A few months later after some treatment and being really sick, My loving wife asked me how I was feeling one day,I said fine so she grabbed my arm and handed my detector to me and said get your butt outside. So I got all my things and headed to an old school site; I had never hunted in an open Field like that. So there I was roaming all around this wheat field stubble and BAM got a loud signal, it sounded like a beer can laying on the ground. I skipped right over it, thinking it was trash  :-[  hunted for about 3 hours not finding much, just the normal brass home site junk. When I decided to leave; I happened to walk back over the (beer can) and thought I had better remove it so I wouldn't hit it again. Stuck my shovel in and removed a big plug; ran my detector over the hole and still was loud. Got down and dug by hand and seen it. The best looking silver coin I have ever seen and biggest, a 1878s silver Morgan. I just stood there in shock not really knowing what to do(lol) should I yell,dance or just faint. I can tell you one thing that one piece of silver saved my life, I felt better, depression went away and life is looking up  :) Sorry to have rambled on so much--Kurt

Offline Don

• Administrator
Re: Morgan (long)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 09:10:54 PM »
Kurt, that was a great story!  I am glad you are doing so much better now.  A lot of us use the hobby to escape from life even if it is only for a couple hours at a time.

Thanks for posting, she sure is pretty!

steve

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 09:57:44 PM »
Life brings challenges too all of us Kirk.  Your wife did a great thing by getting you back out there in the fresh air and finding that Morgan Dollar certainly did the job!  Congrats on a great find buddy!   ;)

jmhscout

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 10:48:25 PM »
I am very impressed and proud of you for doing what you needed to do most of all
"HEAL"
now that you have found your passion the junk and pain will quickly go away.
metal detecting offers many great things.
Enjoyment with friends and family
the great outdoors
a huge stress releif
new experinces
and what do you know you actually make money for your hard work (usualy not enough to pay the bills but still a little)
glad to hear it is going better for you and great great find i love big silver
and yes Do scream and yell and giggle and fall on the ground and run around like a school boy dont be emberaced about
just watch the gold coin movie from steve and youll know what i mean ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Roger

• MWAS Club Member
  • Shawnee, Kansas
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:11:56 AM »
Thanks for the excellent story Kurt. 

Roger
"I may not be your best friend Wyatt, but I will be there when you need me" ~Doc Holliday

Offline Digger

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 01:49:29 PM »
Great story. And a great wife.

Mick

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 03:42:27 PM »
Sounds like you have gone through so much and still came out a winner..  Good for you Kurt, and sounds like a great wife. That is one nice Morgan !!! Still looking for my first one.

Bob K

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 07:04:22 PM »
 A very beautiful coin   nice detail & the wife's also great. that's another great catch   Keep digging sovuser.

Offline Johnny Ringo

• I Smell....I Smell...hmm..SILVER!!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »
Kurt, great story and happy you shared it with us. I'm glad you got a good woman there to keep you in line.
Memories made one plug at a time!!!

Offline prezdan

• Officer
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 06:56:23 AM »
Kurt, Thanks for sharing your story with us. Even though we are basically strangers our hobby has brought us together as a family so I'll tell you a little about my challenges.
On July 12 2004 I woke up and discovered I had a stroke sometime during the night which left me unable to use my left side arm and leg motor skills. I was very active in the MD hobby along with fishing and an independent HVAC self employed contractor, doing all my own work 12+ hours a day.
After spending several months in rehab at the hospital I started going to the Rehab Institute of Kansas City for rehab.
Before leaving the Rehab Institute of KC I told one of the therapist I had to be able to get down on the ground and back up on my own so I could return to my hobby of metal detecting. She showed me to a room that had thick carpeting and worked with me on regaining the skills of getting, not falling, down and getting back up on my own.
I could go on and on about the little challenges of everyday life I've had to overcome but won't bore you with those details, just let me tell you that life goes on and don't give up or quit.
Being single, after my wife of 33 years left me last year, having friends here on this web site and the club is very important to me.
WHEN IN DOUGHT, DIG IT OUT

[Most Recent Quotes from www.kitco.com]