Look what we are finding!
11/11/15 10/9/15 9/26/15 9/04/15 8/09/15 07/29/15 07/29/15 07/26/15 7/15/15
Click on the Picture to read about it
See Our Previous Banner Finds
Don't forget to check out our main page at http://www.mwas.org

Author Topic: All my best...  (Read 2412 times)

Offline DIGGER27

• MWAS Club Member
All my best...
« on: February 14, 2012, 09:07:30 AM »
 I started hunting on Feb 15, 2010, so I have not been doing this very long at all.
The first 3 months was with a hand me down Pioneer EX that did not work well at all in my horrible no depth Birmingham Alabama devil soil.
I hate this thing and won't use it at all, anymore.
A few months later I upgraded to a Vaquero, I bought an F2 a few months later as a back-up and take-on-vacation detector, and last August I picked up a Compadre for the best chance at finding jewelry.
None of these detectors got much depth in my old soil, so I consider myself lucky I found this stuff at all...none of these were very deep.
In this new soil I am hunting here in my new home I am seeing much greater depth, so I am looking forward to all my future finds in this fantastic part of the country.

All of these I consider my best finds, I can't pick out just one, so I will throw them all out here on this post.
All of these were found in Alabama except for the Shawnee Mission class ring.

The grapeshot or caseshot cannon ball was a surprise and found in a small park and I had no idea that this area had any civil war activity at all.
Found with the Vaq and only a few inches deep.

The token was found in a Birmingham park in an area that used to have some old houses up until the 1940's.
Rated R10, and the only information I have ever found about it is that there are only 1-5 others known to exist.
Large as a 1/2 dollar, lots of info and it even has a date.
The only picture posted on the whole world wide web of this token is one that I posted.
Lately I have been soaking it in olive oil and I have been using a toothpick to try to clean off some of that black crud and make it look nice.
An F2 find...came in as zinc, about 4 inches deep in some rare, decent black soil.

The large class ring was about 18 grams of 10k gold, one 1/2 size larger and that quarter would have passed right through it.
Had a tough time getting the owner to pick this up after I contacted him, and it was a frustrating experience, overall.
It was easy to find him, his name was all over this ring.
He was clueless and unappreciative, for the most part...didn't even know it was made of gold.
Also an F2 find...zinc signal...surprised the heck out of me when this came up from about 2 inches deep.

The other class ring won the January best jewelry award at the last meeting, left some messages on the phone number of the person I think is the owner...no return calls back yet.
Compadre find, 14 grams, also zinc and also about 2 inches in depth.

The silver cased pocket watch was one of my last finds on one of my last hunts in Alabama.
Found in the same vicinity where I found that token.
Just the guts and the rim, no back, but silver and the numbers on the movement part dates this Elgin watch manufacturing date to between 1909 and 1910.
At that time, movements outlasted the cases and cases were changed out by jewelers as needed, so the case might be a little older than the movement.
I plan on making a wall clock in the future with dug coins as the numbers and this watch will be mounted in the middle with the clock hands coming through the center.
Found with the Compadre and about 3 inches deep in that same, nice black soil.

Everything I find, junk or good, is a treasure to me, and all have given me lasting memories I will take with me through life.

I just love this hobby!

HH
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:23:47 AM by DIGGER27 »
F70/Mojave/F2/Compadre/Judge 2...2017 finds...Clad, 11 silver targets including a freaking Barber quarter and two V nickels!

Reality continues to ruin my life!

Offline Roger ramjet

• MWAS Club Member
Re: All my best...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:34:27 PM »
   NICE finds, nice pics too, Dave.........Where's the sauce ???      wlcm

Offline prezdan

• Officer
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 04:06:41 AM »
Good write up about your treasures and what they mean to you. I think metal detecting is the most rewarding hobby there is. It can even better fishing most of the time.

WHEN IN DOUGHT, DIG IT OUT

Offline Johnny Ringo

• I Smell....I Smell...hmm..SILVER!!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:06:48 AM »
And it never gets old. Great post. Many of us share your passion.
Memories made one plug at a time!!!

DarbyGloss

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 04:54:07 AM »
Really nice finds. I love that ring. You must have got the best metal detectoryourock
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:55:17 PM by DarbyGloss »

Offline Inksmyth

• MWAS Club Member
  • I can dig it!
    • Body Art Inc. Tattoo Studio
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »
Great finds! Love the old watch. What year is the class ring?
Whites Spectra V3I,
Whites DFX,
Whites Eagle Spectrum.

Offline DIGGER27

• MWAS Club Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »
Really nice finds. I love that ring. You must have got the best metal detectoryourock

LOL!
Thanks!
The best metal detectors for me, for sure.
I hunt with 3, actually, a Vaquero, an F2 and a Compadre.
Most of these finds and much more were found with my $150 Compadre and my $200 Fisher F2 because I use them the most.
I believe what you swing doesn't matter as much as learning to understand the language of your chosen detector, no matter what kind or how expensive.

F70/Mojave/F2/Compadre/Judge 2...2017 finds...Clad, 11 silver targets including a freaking Barber quarter and two V nickels!

Offline DIGGER27

• MWAS Club Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 09:39:24 AM »
Great finds! Love the old watch. What year is the class ring?

I have found 3 class rings in my time.
That first pic was the one I found in Alabama, the second one was found in a park here in Kansas and it was a 1973.

The funny thing is a few months after I posted this I found another ring from the same school that is exactly the same except it is slightly larger and one year older...1972.

Evidently students from this school all seem to have trouble hanging on to their rings. 

Offline Inksmyth

• MWAS Club Member
  • I can dig it!
    • Body Art Inc. Tattoo Studio
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »
That is where I went to school at that time. Do you remember the names involved?
Whites Spectra V3I,
Whites DFX,
Whites Eagle Spectrum.

Offline DIGGER27

• MWAS Club Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 04:57:31 PM »
That is where I went to school at that time. Do you remember the names involved?

Not really.
I did track down the guy on the first one and left messages on a lost ring site and tried calling him for 3 months but no answer and no calls back.
The second one I also tracked down the person I believe owned it and called a few times but again no reply.
I just found my fourth class ring from another school and on this one and all future finds I am not even going to try to contact.

[Most Recent Quotes from www.kitco.com]