Look what we are finding!
11/11/15 10/9/15 9/26/15 9/04/15 8/09/15 07/29/15 07/29/15 07/26/15 7/15/15
Click on the Picture to read about it
See Our Previous Banner Finds
Don't forget to check out our main page at http://www.mwas.org

Author Topic: Finds in Alabama...from a wheelchair!  (Read 7968 times)

Offline DIGGER27

• MWAS Club Member
Finds in Alabama...from a wheelchair!
« on: August 09, 2015, 09:42:32 AM »
Hello all, back online from Bama and I miss all of you and our meetings.
Someone eat an extra hot dog for me sometime.

I finally got out hunting again but it ain't easy because of my current circumstances.
Not my choice at all, just a run of very bad luck.

Some of you may know that we planned on moving back to the Birmingham area from Kansas at the end of last month.
Went to get the truck on the 29th of June, had helpers lined up to help pack the truck but the truck that was supposed to take me back to Bama, the only truck they had on site, was broke.
They couldn't get me a truck till the next day, there was messed up communication with the movers so they didn't get there till real late after another big job, the truck wasn't completely loaded so I had to spend time and energy to get it done and that tired me out so much that one hour before we were supposed to leave and finally get on the road I screwed up.
Don't know exactly how it happened because it is all still a blur, but I fell off the back of the truck and hit the ground...hard.
Now most of the bones under my left heel are fractured, my left wrist is shattered too so now we are looking at surgery on both, at least 8-10 weeks rehab and since the injuries are on the same side I can't use crutches.
I will be in a wheelchair for the foreseeable future.

I know someone is thinking pics or it didn't happen.
I actually do have a CD width my x rays on it but trust me you don't want to see them.

Hopefully I will get well and strong enough to go full bore hunting again by the fall or if not that the winter, but for now I am going to have to read about and be thrilled with what you guys find since I am  mostly sidelined or at least I was because I was going crazy not digging in the dirt for a month.

I had a great year already with plenty of clad, silver and gold jewelry, silver coins and more so I am thankful for that, hopefully I will be able to add to my totals before the end of the year comes around.

I have a postage stamp size lawn that I have hunted over and over from my wheelchair but that ain't cutting it so yesterday I had the wife bring me down to an old park just down the block.
It dates back to the 20's but there were homes here before that so I am just wheeling around small areas looking for coins or anything else I can find.
Getting out and digging is the important thing and everything else is secondary.
Still, the ol' digger still seems to be lucky because yesterday I found something pretty cool.

Love finding great things, love discovering the history of those finds.
http://vintagekidstuff.com/mhc/mhc.html

Go to the link and read about all sorts of pins and buttons in case you find one because plenty of other hunters have and were confused about what they really are.

All I have is my cell phone so the pic is not great but it looks fantastic in person.
Really tarnished but cleaned up nice and came in high so I suspect it is silver.
Better pic of another one I pulled off the web next to it.

I believe this was given to a kid around 1919 and found in that old park right where those older homes used to stand.

I will continue to hunt a few old parks around here as best I can, I will post my better finds when I find them.
It is crazy hot and humid here plus the grass, dirt and barbeque just ain't right but I will soldier on and stay in touch.
Again, miss you all big time but I am still here if you want to contact me for anything.

HH

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:58:11 AM by DIGGER27 »
F70/Mojave/F2/Compadre/Judge 2...2017 finds...Clad, 11 silver targets including a freaking Barber quarter and two V nickels!

Reality continues to ruin my life!

Offline Inksmyth

• MWAS Club Member
  • I can dig it!
    • Body Art Inc. Tattoo Studio
Re: Finds in Alabama...from a wheelchair!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 12:01:10 PM »
Good to hear from you, but that's not good news.  Hope your healing and rehab goes quickly and smoothly.

PS.
When you fell off the truck did you find a gold ring under it?
                                      uyh:

Take care Dave.
Whites Spectra V3I,
Whites DFX,
Whites Eagle Spectrum.

Offline Inksmyth

• MWAS Club Member
  • I can dig it!
    • Body Art Inc. Tattoo Studio
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 12:02:10 PM »
And I will take care of that extra hotdog for you.
Whites Spectra V3I,
Whites DFX,
Whites Eagle Spectrum.

Bob K

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 12:55:44 PM »
And I will take care of that extra hotdog for you.

I will fight you for the extra dog of dans.

Sorry to hear about the fall and the wheel chair.but a cool find.
just shows you can't keep a good man down. Hope the recovery is fast.

Offline Roger

• MWAS Club Member
  • Shawnee, Kansas
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 07:16:16 PM »
Nice find !
Any chance of a short video of you detecting and digging in the wheel chair ?
"I may not be your best friend Wyatt, but I will be there when you need me" ~Doc Holliday

Offline prezdan

• Officer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 03:38:27 AM »
I know how you feel. I hunted the 2004 mwas annual hunt 2 months after my stroke from a wheelchair.
WHEN IN DOUGHT, DIG IT OUT

Offline Roy

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 03:02:55 PM »
Get well!
Sounds like you a good spirit about bad circumstances; that's important!

Offline Detector

• Finders Keeper
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 05:48:47 AM »
Now that's some serious detecting LOL Nice find!
Deus, DFX
The real treasure is in the hunt...

Offline DIGGER27

• MWAS Club Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 06:59:29 AM »
Nice find !
Any chance of a short video of you detecting and digging in the wheel chair ?

I packed up my Go Pro but when I find it I will get some hunt time filmed.
F70/Mojave/F2/Compadre/Judge 2...2017 finds...Clad, 11 silver targets including a freaking Barber quarter and two V nickels!

Reality continues to ruin my life!

[Most Recent Quotes from www.kitco.com]