Look what we are finding!
11/11/15 10/9/15 9/26/15 9/04/15 8/09/15 07/29/15 07/29/15 07/26/15 7/15/15
Click on the Picture to read about it
See Our Previous Banner Finds
Don't forget to check out our main page at http://www.mwas.org

Author Topic: Some relics from around dodge  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Detector

• Finders Keeper
Some relics from around dodge
« on: February 22, 2008, 05:00:33 PM »
Here is some of the bullets, buttons and stuff I've found around the forts.

Deus, DFX
The real treasure is in the hunt...

Offline Roger

• MWAS Club Member
  • Shawnee, Kansas
Re: Some relics from around dodge
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 05:39:51 PM »
Holley Molley Terry !!!!  I just looked at all your post.

But do you ever find any old stuff............ LOL........ Just jokeing. :D :D :D :D

I think I hear a couple of our members packing their cars for a little trip west.

Nice collection.
"I may not be your best friend Wyatt, but I will be there when you need me" ~Doc Holliday

Offline Detector

• Finders Keeper
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 07:13:25 PM »
Anytime you people back east want some southwestern hospitality, and good hunting, let me know and I'd be happy to show you the sites.

Within 5 miles of Dodge City, which as you know has a bit of history of it's own, are not 1, not 2 but 3 forts. Fort Mann(1845-1848) nothing but a field left. Fort Atkinson(1850-1854) nothing but a field left. Fort Dodge(1864-1878) stone fort remains and protected by law, but the best part are the original dugouts(1864-1867) along the river, and the training grounds east of there on private farm land which we can hunt when planting is not going on.

Also, Before Dodge City the oldest known crossing of the Arkansas was smack dab in the middle of where our city park(estab 1883) now. I found a Mexican 2 reale with no date at this location. This is the crossing the Indian guide lead Becknell(sp) group across in 1821, and he was told then it was an ancient Indian trail. Possibly the real location where Coronado crossed in 1541. It's marked just east of Fort Dodge, but thats only because Spanish armor was found near there.
Deus, DFX
The real treasure is in the hunt...

steve

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 08:09:32 PM »
Nice lead!!!  Love that stone Tomahawk!!!  Coronado 1541!!!...your talk'n some serious old stuff!!!  You are certainly in an area loaded with History.  Good to have you aboard!

Steve

Bob K

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 08:23:29 PM »
   W O W Great fines. Keep us updated on your fines.. Just think 3 forts, The
 Santa fe trail & campsites, Forts Larned, Harker & Hays military trail,
 abandoned stage stations & towns and even the cattle trails. What a place..

Offline Johnny Ringo

• I Smell....I Smell...hmm..SILVER!!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 09:48:24 PM »
UUUHHHH.......Got any extra rooms I can rent?? I dont take up much room and I dont eat alot!!!
Nice finds there for sure!!! Just look at the relics....I'm drooling here!!! Dont be surprised if you get a knock on the door ;D ;D. Good job and keep it up!!
Memories made one plug at a time!!!

Offline Don

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 09:52:19 PM »
Detector, don't be surprised if I show up on your door step in the next month or so.  I almost ended up in Liberal last week but there were no hotel rooms available so I went to Oklahoma city instead.  I would love to meet you in person next time I am out that way and maybe do some detecting.

Thanks for all your great posts and pictures, keep them coming.

Don

[Most Recent Quotes from www.kitco.com]